Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 110 Germ shep is having trouble right p.he's 91/2 was

Customer Question

My 110 Germ shep is having trouble right hip.he's 91/2 was slower anyway but something must have happened last night.eating drinking fine but dies not want to get up at all.massage revealed no specific area of pain or wincing.can u try giving a buffering?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, in regards ***** ***** question, if you lad has suddenly injured his hip and is on no other medications at this time, then you can give him a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). Of course, do make sure to administer with or after food. And just to note if you find that this doesn't help, then we'd need to consider speaking to his local vet about a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox.
Otherwise, if he has been slowing down in recent time and likely has arthritis, I would note that there are some OTC supplements that you may want to consider for the long term. In regards ***** ***** we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad both now and for the longer term.
Overall, if your lad has hurt his hip, we do need to monitor this and tread with care. If you find that he can bear no weight on this leg at all or there is any risk that he has dislocated his hip, then we'd want to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, if that is not the case, we can use the above to see if we can reduce his discomfort and get him back to using this leg comfortably.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )