Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is loosing s hair and causing liasons on s rear and s

Customer Question

My dog is loosing his hair and causing liasons on his rear and his paws. He is constantly chewing himself. I have changed his diet but recently he has eaten some regular dog food. I have bathed him for fleas but now that he has sores i dont want to .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
From what you have told me, it appears that your guy is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.
For now , follow these instructions:
Give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Vetricyn is a very good creme and can be used to replace the Betadine in some areas. This treatment has been very effective in most cases.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
You are very welcome....I hope your guy feels better soon!
I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta