Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My yorkie encountered a rat on the side of the road at about

Customer Question

My yorkie encountered a rat on the side of the road at about 9pm last night the young rat squealed my dog snarnled, there is no evidence that they bite each other. my dog was fine last night but has slept most of the day today, it's now 5pm the next day and my dog just threw up yellow liquid and is now retching. what do i do, should i be as overly worried as i am now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Oh my! Poor little Terry! It sounds more like this encounter has stressed Terry out so much that it is causing a digestive disturbance. Yorkies are very sensitive and when they are stressed, this can happen. It is probably minor and is treated as follows:
Fast Terry for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Terry back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.
Rats do not carry rabies in general but this can be a concern...if Terry does not respond, take him to your vet.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much dr. loretta, my terry is back to his self now again, thank god, he is my only company since my daughter left home 2 yrs ago. i rescued him from a shealter . i would hate for anything to happen to 'MY BABY'. thank you.

I am so happy that Terry is feeling better....I know you love him and are taking very good care of him!

Have a great evening!!!