Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is suddenly limping after sleeping in front the ac

Customer Question

my dog is suddenly limping after sleeping in front the ac but the limping has lasted a week now what should i do she is not in any pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is slightly holding the right hind leg up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can she put the foot down at all?
Do you think the limping has improved at all in the past week?
Does it get better as she warms up and moves the leg?
What dose of fish oil and glycoflex have you used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the glyco flex small chews 2 per day it has improve a bit and yes she puts it down a little on the floor she kind of hops around
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to hear that she can put the foot down a bit, as this makes hip dislocation and nerve damage less of a worry here. Instead, our major concerns here would be a possible muscle strain/sprain, or tendon damage or rupture. And as she is older, these could be worsened by arthritis and that could slow her settling with this.
Now while its good that she did improve some, if she is very lame after a week, then we'd be best to consider having this checked at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to have her local vet rule out tendon rupture and dispense dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to settle any residual strain and discomfort and get her using the leg properly again sooner. If you do have any delay with this, then you can consider a trial on buffered aspirin (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) but given how lame she still is a week later, we'd be concerned that that may not be enough to settle this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Erica,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
nekovet