Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Please explain treatment tissue tear in shoulder

Customer Question

Please explain treatment for soft tissue tear in shoulder
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I'm assuming that your Poodle was lame or limping which is why a diagnosis of a soft tissue injury was made. This particular diagnosis is the most cause for lameness in most dogs when they start to limp.
Every vet has their own protocol when treating these sorts of injuries, of course, but the ones you list are the medications most commonly prescribed.
In most cases, with rest and leash-walking only (and medications), the patient will resume normal activity within about 7-10 days or perhaps a little longer.
However, if the patient doesn't respond as expected, then other underlying problems may be going on such that additional diagnostic testing would be recommended. Arthritis (depending on the age of the patient), spinal issues, and even cancer may be responsible for a patient's symptoms although tendinitis might also cause a patient to be lame for a longer period of time.
I usually want to take an x-ray if my patient is still lame after several weeks. Soft tissue injuries aren't typically seen on a plain x-ray but the bones/joints can be evaluated.
It would take advanced diagnostic imagining such as a CT scan to specifically pinpoint other problems such as a mass although referral to a specialty hospital is usually needed.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb