Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I woke up to my 12lb Yorker mix chewing on a ant hotel. She

Customer Question

Hello I woke up to my 12lb Yorker mix chewing on a ant hotel. She seems to be acting fine drinking water and eating. It was behind the couch so not sure how she got it. The number in the box said she should be fine but to consult someone if it is a smaller animal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about DeDee. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I have looked this up several times, and these ant hotels do not contain enough poison to make a dog sick, even a little dog, even if they eat the whole thing. The people at poison control tell us to be concerned about the plastic of the hotel causing internal obstruction, if the whole thing is eaten, as the main concern. If she only chewed it but did not eat any of the plastic, she should be OK.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I didn't think so but just wanted to make sure! I put it behind the couch cause ants are getting by the food. I think the sneaky cat pushed it out! Thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I hope she continues to do well. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like something a cat would do; get a dog into trouble!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else? How is she doing? This question is still open until you rate my answer!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicole,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dedee. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is DeDee?