Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog on pain relief nerve damage causing the two muscles

Customer Question

Dog on pain relief for possible nerve damage causing the two muscles leading to front left leg to be wasted.
He is walking with back end going to the side ,unsteady on feet hard to stand on 3 legs to pee,panting and yelps if touched.Eating and drinking well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How long has he been treated?
How much does Louis weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4weeks
9.5 kg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, nerve damage can take a significant amount of time to heal. This is because nerves are one of the slowest to heal tissues in the body. So, as long as disc disease compressing the spine has been ruled, then you are on the right track with treatment.
Still, if he is this sore and struggling this much, then we do have to consider speaking to his vet about modifying his current treatment plan. For example, if the Onsior isn't helping, then you may want to consider a discussion with his vet about steroids. These can be better at penetrating nerve tissue to reduce inflammation. As well, since he has nerve pain, Gabapentin would be a drug that could be of benefit here.
Otherwise and something you can consider trying until his vet is open, you can try modifying his Tramadol dose. Specifically, this can be used every 8 hours if needed. As well, you could give him another 1/8th (so half of a quarter) of Tramadol safely to try an get him more comfortable until his vet is open. So, those could help with his pain over the weekend until his vet is open.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )