Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 1 yr old rot is itching like crazy, like she has dry skin

Customer Question

my 1 yr old rot is itching like crazy, like she has dry skin all over, and or a allergy of some sort, she scratching consantly, can igive her a half of benedryll till tomorrow when i can tke her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Poor lass!
In regards ***** ***** question, you absolutely can give her Benadryl just now. Dose-wise, you can give a dose within the range of 0.5-2 mg per pound of her body weight every 8 hours until her vet is open. This will hopefully just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation for her. Of course, be aware that this can cause drowsiness in dogs (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But if she is itchy, this should help if an allergy is to blame.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )