Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our chiahuahua/dachshund mix (6 yrs.) has had diahorrea

Customer Question

Our chiahuahua/dachshund mix (6 yrs.) has had diahorrea twice this evening (two hours apart). She ate after the first movement. She hasn't vomited that we know of, but has eaten grass after the second movement. We are feeding her dry food that we wet and add boiled chicken, and at night we add dinovite and a little dog food stew mixed in. She has never had diahorrea before. What can we give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood in the stool. No other symptoms. She weighs about 15 lbs. No medical conditions. Only on heart worm meds.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. Diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter