Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My maltese started to act real restless, pacing, circleing

Customer Question

HI. My maltese started to act real restless, pacing, circleing and I have no idea what it is? I have no way at this time to the vet, what could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough night with Marty!

Check to be sure that his gums are nice and pink, his breathing is not labored, and you see no abdominal distention.

Behavior like this is typically anxiety related - when dogs are anxious they will pant, pace, drool, shiver, and be generally agitated and unable or unwilling to settle down. The triggers for anxiety can be many, and sometimes they don't always make sense to us, just like people who have panic attacks can't always explain exactly what triggered them.

Sometimes dogs will have these signs of anxiety when they aren't feeling well, for instance right before they vomit or if they are experiencing pain. The most common thing I see in my patients that causes really vague symptoms is back or neck pain.

Generally if there are no signs of respiratory distress or severe pain or abdominal distention, I monitor pets and try to sort out if there was some sort of behavioral trigger or if they are painful somewhere. Try to keep to your regular routine and not make a big fuss. They can sense if we are upset, and this causes them to be upset as well. You can try to distract him with a favorite treat or toy as well. If you are seeing anything that you think might be a seizure, he seems suddenly blind/bumping into objects, or has labored breathing I would seek emergency care.

I sure hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Connie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Marty. How is everything going?
Doc Sara