jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a 4 week old Dogue ogde Bordeaux that quit using s

Customer Question

I have a 4 week old Dogue ogde Bordeaux that quit using his rear legs and is lethargic the rest of the puppies seem to be okay
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Can you examine the pup's body from the abdomen back especially around the hips and hocks of the back legs. Look for any swelling or areas that might feel hot?
Has the pup been growing as fast as the other pups?
When did he stop being mobile?
Was he as coordinated as the other pups up until this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not feel any swelling or heat. He seems to be growing at the same rate. I noticed that he stopped using them when I came home from work this afternoon around 4 o'clock. I gave him half a baby aspirin mixed with some nutracal and he is using them somewhat again. He is is acting playful now with the other puppies as well.
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.
I'm glad to hear that the puppy seems to be doing a bit better. I do think the dosage of aspirin given seems a little high. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx
.
Normally we wouldn't even give this to a puppy this young. Let me tell you what might be going on. Sometimes when a dog has pups, they will nip to hard or bite when the pup is first born or puncture the skin carrying the pup. when a puncture occurs, bacteria gets into the wound. The outer wound heals but the bacteria under the skin continues to multiply forming an abscess. This abscess can interfere with the way the bones are forming and lead to pain for the puppies.
Now often you will find swelling but not until the pup stops being able to move a limb. Another possibility is the pup climbed on something and fell injuring himself. For a pup, a bruise or cracked bone can stop them from moving around normally. I would not give any more aspirin at this point. Monitor him and see if he continues to do well. If he continues to move around and doesn't become lethargic again, perhaps it was a bruise since you don't feel any swelling. However, if he deteriorates again and seems to have problems moving, you will need to have him seen by your vet. If an abscess is present, your vet can give amoxicillin to help the pup battle any infection present and get him back to health quickly.
I wouldn't wait too long as an infection close to the joint might cause permanent damage to the way the bones fit together.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Jeff,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57

I'm just following up to see how your little guy is doing and to find out if my answer was helpful? If you found it helpful, please take the opportunity to rate.