Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My two toy poodles (aged 7 years) have both developed mild

Customer Question

My two toy poodles (aged 7 years) have both developed mild diahorrea. They still want to play and eat, and appear fine - can they be given imodium? They weigh 6 and 7 kilos respectively, and the only change to their diet was two meals of 'wet' dog food (lamb). They usually eat roast chicken, pork & veal mince, with some grated cheese and olive oil, as well as dried biscuits when they feel like it - and neither of them are particularly interested in food. They drink plenty of water, and occasionally have some plain yoghurt. Your advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry that both Jazz and Zac aren't feeling well. Since they're both having gastrointestinal issues, I'd have to suspect that they either got into something they shouldn't have or they have a viral or bacterial infection.
The fact that they're still playing and otherwise appear normal is, obviously, a good thing.
Loperamine or Imodium can be given to dogs but I tend to avoid it's use for a number of reasons.
I've seen a number of dogs develop side effects such as constipation, bloat, and sedation with other, potentially, more serious adverse effects also possible: paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, pancreatitis, and central nervous system signs.
In addition, collies, shepherds, related breeds, or other dogs who have a defective MDR-1 gene mutation may be overly sensitive to loperamide and it's use should be avoided.
Poodles aren't typically listed as a breed with such a gene but I still tend to avoid Imodium in my patients with diarrhea.
For informational purposes only, the dose would be 0.1 mg/kg twice a day or about 1/4th of a 2 mg tablet at one dose for dogs weighing 6 and 7 kgs.
Another option would be Bismuth Salicylate (aka Pepto Bismol here in the States) as long as they aren't currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and are not vomiting, The dose would be 1 milligrams per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day or a little less than 1/4th of a teaspoon
Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.
I'd also start them on a probiotic such as Forti Flora if such products are available to you in Australia.
I typically recommend a bland diet of boiled chicken and 20-minute rice for patients with loose stool issues in place of their regular diet.
I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb