Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have just read what you advised with Zeus, these are the

Customer Question

I have just read what you advised with Zeus, these are the same symptoms I am having with my Maltese. We have been on a long road trip and she ate foods that she was not accustomed to because she refused to eat her own dog food. I bought her hot dogs which was greasy. I will follow your advice about the Zantac. She is only 14 lbs, how much Zantac shall I start her with please. Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The expert you requested is unfortunately unavailable but I wanted to ensure your question was answered. Zantac is a difficult antacid in little dogs because of its concentration.

In dogs, the typical dose administered is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg), every 8 to 12 hours. It can be administered orally or by injection. Ranitidine is supplied in 75 mg, 150 mg and 300 mg tablets. So for Coco this would be 3.5-14 mg very difficult to cut even with the 75 mg tablet!

Alternatives for your Coco include:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours
- Prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/4 tablet daily

I hope this makes sense but please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!