Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have an 8 month old Yorkshire Terrier and Chihuahua mix.

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old Yorkshire Terrier and Chihuahua mix. She has been having issues since she was about 4 months. She started losing hair around the crown of her head. I took her to the vet and the my gave her simplicef and prednisone for about a month.
Her hair started to grow back. Then she broke out with pustules all over her body from itching and scratching. She was then put on cephalexin for 2 weeks. Image continued to itch and got worse. The vet then diagnosed her with demodex mites. She had one dip.
I discontinued the dips and did a homemade remedy of Borax, peroxide, and warm water. She got better her hair grew back. Then I noticed a flea and within a month I put her on Frontline Plus. Now as of today she still itching around her face. She has pustules
throughout her body, around her mouth, on her paws, back, and genital area. She constantly licks her paws. But her hay is growing back all over. Her paws are taking a little bit longer due to excessive licking. She has dead skin flakes constantly as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there I'm Dr. Sara

I'm sorry for the delay in getting an answer. Sometimes it takes a little bit to find the right expert with the experience needed to answer the question.

Demodex is notoriously difficult to get rid of, so my first suspicion based on your description is that she may still be having an overgrowth of mites. Most dogs with demodex also have secondary bacterial infection that requires antibiotics to clear up. Bacterial infections (also called pyoderma) in dogs look just as you described - papules, pustules, and crusting or scaling.

Certainly she could have allergy issues as well, but she is a little young yet to call it that. Until she has had two negative scrapings for demodex two weeks apart, she won't be considered "over" the demodex.

I would suggest getting back in with your vet as soon as you're able to have repeat scrapings and have her evaluated to see if she needs more antibiotics.

It's also important to continue flea treatment each month to make sure that they aren't complicating the issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer!

~Dr. Sara