Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog just ate 2 Meloxicam 7.5 MGand one of my hormone

Customer Question

My dog just ate 2 Meloxicam 7.5 MGand one of my hormone replacement pills Mimvey 1.0 -.5 MG Just ate them 10 minutes ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested 15mgs of Meloxicam and a hormone replacement tablet, Mimvey.

Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal we do use in dogs, but 15mgs is a lot.

The usual dose in dogs is 0.2mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) the first day and them 0.1mg daily.

15mgs would be enough for a 75 kilogram or 165 pound dog, so I recommend inducing vomiting. ( 15mg / 0.2mg/kg = 75kgs, 75kgs X 2.2pounds/kg = 165 pounds ).

To induce vomiting give her 15mls or 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally per 10 pounds of body weight (no more than 3 tablespoon even if she weighs more than 35 pounds) then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling.

She needs to get rid of the meloxicam. If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. You can give the peroxide directly or with a little canned food or bread chunks.

If you do not have peroxide then I recommend that she be seen at an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

I will be back with more information, but I wanted you to have this to start.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Symptoms of a meloxicam overdose include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers,

blood in the stools, and acute kidney failure.

While some dogs tolerate a high dose better than others this is probably at least 2-3 times a usual dose.

Once she vomits and clears her stomach at home now to try and decrease acid production in his stomach and lessen any possible symptoms you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours (one 10mg tab for a 20 to 40 pound dog)

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours (one 20mg tab for a 40 to 80 pound dog)

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They can be given as needed.

Then you can feed her a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination. But I don't think you will see those if you can get her to vomit the pills out.

The Mimvey tablet I am much less concerned about. These are pretty low levels of hormones and a one time dose should not be an issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.