Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has been chewing the bark on a corn plan. He weighs

Customer Question

My dog has been chewing the bark on a corn plan. He weighs 62 lbs. and healthy. I just found out this AM. Not sure how long this has been going on.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Buddy has been chewing on the bark of a corn plant.

I believe that this is a Dracaena plant, and these are toxic to dogs and cats because they contain Saponins.

These toxins cause vomiting (occasionally with blood), depression, loss of appetite, drooling and dilated pupils (more likely in cats).

It is possible that if he's just chewing on bark and he isn't getting any sap that's why he hasn't gotten sick, but I would not allow him to continue to chew any further.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.