Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Buddy has been chewing on the bark of a corn plant.
I believe that this is a Dracaena plant, and these are toxic to dogs and cats because they contain Saponins.
These toxins cause vomiting (occasionally with blood), depression, loss of appetite, drooling and dilated pupils (more likely in cats).
It is possible that if he's just chewing on bark and he isn't getting any sap that's why he hasn't gotten sick, but I would not allow him to continue to chew any further.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.