Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We use advantage II on my 15 lb cocker spaniel/shitzu mix.

Customer Question

We use advantage II on my 15 lb cocker spaniel/shitzu mix. He was boxes for the first time earlier this week and came home with fleas. I have him a flea bath yesterday then when he was completely dry put a dose of his advantage on him (it was only a week early) he is still scratching horribly and I found another flea on him just a little bit ago. Not sure what to do since we can't use more advantage and the flea bath says to not use more than once a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I can understand your frustration with this problem since there's no question that fleas can be quite a nuisance!
A perfect product for your situation would be an oral pill called Capstar. This particular product will kill fleas within 30 minutes after they feed on your dog. It will be safe to give even though you've applied Advantage and given him a flea bath.
I typically advise that it be given every day for 3-4 days and then every other day although it can be given every day if the flea burden in heavy.
It's not a prescription drug and many local pet or grain stores will carry it. I know it's available online but I suspect you wouldn't want to wait for it to be shipped (unless you did an overnight).
For future flea control, you might want to consider the oral product, Bravecto, which will last for three months but will also kill fleas within 30 minutes. The disadvantage is that you'd have to purchase it from your vet since it's not currently available elsewhere.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb