Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has had excessive nose bleeding from one nostril the

Customer Question

Hi my dog has had excessive nose bleeding from one nostril the past week. We have taken him to the vets and there is no sign of trauma, he has had endoscopy, tested for lung worm, a biopsy was taken but there wasn't enough to generate a reading and all these tests were clear but we are waiting on fungal infection results. Next step would obviously be a CT scan but this is very costly. He is still bleeding and isn't himself at all but the vets say there is no more that can be done at this time. What would you suggest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Max's condition...this is a difficult disease to diagnose. The first thing that comes to mind is the tick disease, Erhlichia, which causes a low platlet count and often an Autoimmune Thrombocytopenia which causes excessive bleeding. Make sure your vet has run an autoimmune panel as well as a test for Erhlichia. If these are negative, then a CT is the next step.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****