Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

About 30min ago tonight, my dog went outside and I noticed

Customer Question

Hello Doctor.
About 30min ago tonight, my dog went outside and I noticed he jumped back at something from a bush and then ran over to me. I noticed there was blood all around the right eye. The eye began swelling and the swelling spread down to his cheek a bit. I haven't noticed any more blood coming out. However, the lower eyelid looks extremely red and irritated. Combined with the swelling, I am curious what this could be. He won't let me touch the eye and keeps trying to rub at it with his paw. I am concerned if it was a snake or spider, perhaps even a cat. Is there anything I should do for him? Thank you so much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
If you live where rattlesnakes are possible, it's best that your Pom be taken to a veterinary ER at your earliest convenience. His jumping back is very suggestive of his being bitten. A spider or flying insect shouldn't cause bleeding and, in fact, I don't expect bleeding from a snake bite either. Did you hear a cat growl or hiss? In any event, when an eye is involved in a traumatic event, it's best to have it looked at promptly. Eyes can "go south" in a hurry.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to the ER.