Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is dying an she is scared can I give her my zanaflex

Customer Question

my dog is dying an she is scared can I give her my zanaflex
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me;I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm so sorry to hear that Athena is failing.
I know you want to make her as comfortable as possible but Zanaflex is not a drug which is used for canine patients; pharmacokinetic studies haven't been done so I can't provide a specific dose that you could give her to reduce her anxiety.
My research on a veterinary based website indicates that this drug can slow the heart rate, cause vomiting, and balance issues at a dose of 0.09 mgs per kilograms of body weight. For example, for a 50-60 lb dog, this would be about 2.5 mg.
I would assume that doses less than this could cause sedation.
If pain control is a concern, there's quite a wide range for Tramadol and I'd consider increasing this drug.
I'm sorry that I can't provide a more specific dosage amount for you to give her. I would be doing a disservice to both you ad Athena, however, if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you.
However, I will say that if she were my dog and her anxiety level was intolerable, then I might consider giving her 1 mg of this drug but I would have to think long and hard about it before doing so.
I hope this helps although I'm truly sorry for this situation that you are both facing. Deb