Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My rat terrier has drainage from eyes worse at nite

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Teddy has this discharge! I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change or they progressively have drainage I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is no medical cause for the discharge that requires attention.

- Saline flush for contact lenses to flush the eyes out, particularly after dinner and before bedtime to remove the debris that builds up throughout the day in the eyes
- Benadryl with dinner at 1 mg/ pound which might cause mild sedation but if there is an allergic component it will help reduce the amount and the frequency
- Moist compresses (cool) on the eyes if the discharge is progressing

If there is worsening, the discharge is red, yellow, green, increased rubbing and irritation then it is time to have a veterinary exam but if it is primarily at night and both eyes it sounds like there is an allergic component to the discharge and the above recommendations should help

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!