Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Have black flaky bits on my shepherds groin area what is

Customer Question

Have black flaky bits on my shepherds groin area what is this they come off and skin underneath not affected.i can send photo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'd like to see the photo, please . You can upload it to our conversation by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to send photos done have Crome I hit the add files and took pix can u see that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u still there?
Thank you! The black flaky bits represent keratosebaceous debris - a combination of keratin and oils. If the hairs were shaved away, it's likely that you would see an epidermal collarette in that area. Collarettes are roughly circular skin lesions usually indicating bacterial skin infection but also seborrheic patches. Seborrhea is a catch-all term for disorders of skin keratinization and maturation. There does appear to be inflammation associated with the debris although I may be mislead by the lighting for the photo.
If you think that Thor's skin is normal in that area, however, bathing the area in an antiseborrheic shampoo - one containing some combination of tar, sulfur, salicylic acid, and phytosphingosine as needed should suffice. These shampoos are available over the counter or from his vet hospital. If once shaved you saw evidence of inflammation, then either a topical or systemic antibiotic prescribed by Thor's vet would be indicated.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.