Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was bit by a rat last night. i am worried he could

Customer Question

My dog was bit by a rat last night. i am worried he could get leptospirosis.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now while rats can carry the bacteria leptospirosis, it is important to note that it is only transmitted via the urine. This is why lepto outbreaks are often seen related to urine contaminated water sources as opposed to direct contact with the carrier rats. So, if he only bit the rat, then the risk of lepto here is very small. And if your lad is vaccinated annually, he will have been vaccinated for this too. So, that would reduce risk even more.
Overall, we'd not be worried about Lepto here. Still, if you wished to test for exposure, you could have your vet send a blood sample to check for an antibody level consistent with a lepto exposure. And at the same time, they could also check his kidney values (as this is the organ the bacteria targets) to make sure those were normally for your lad.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet