Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has been vomiting s breakfast. Undigested, everyday

Customer Question

My dog has been vomiting his breakfast. Undigested, everyday for the past week. It can happen immediately or hours later. I have been feeding him less. He does have a "eat slower" thing in his food bowl. None of the food is even chewed. He is a lab and has always eaten too fast. What do I do? Switch his food. Feed him piece by piece? He is perfectly fine otherwise. Still active and still happy and not at all sick!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

This is too long to be persistently vomiting. EVen if happy as can be, he needs to get an evaluation for sure.

My greatest concerns with repeated vomiting, everyday, is pancreatitis. Once that pancreas is upset, he really needs supportive medication in the form of anti-vomiting drugs and antacid therapy to calm his digestive tract. Otherwise, he will get progressively worse.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Yes, I would have his diet switched, at least temporarily, to a gastrointestinal prescription diet. You have already tried a lot, and a routine dietary indiscretion should have easily resolved itself by now. At this age, I also cannot rule-out that he doesn't have a partial obstruction in his stomach causing the persistent illness. Well worth the vet vsiit! Good Luck!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Amos. How is everything going?