Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My boyfriends terrier was running around in the back yard

Customer Question

My boyfriends ***** ***** terrier was running around in the back yard about 2 days ago when the dog yelped out and started holding his left hind leg up he want put any pressure on that left hind leg at all. My boyfriend is refusing to take him to the vet he says its hip dysplacia and there's really nothing a vet can do. But I think my boyfriend is wrong cause hip dysplacia wouldn't cause the dog to hold his leg up and avoid putting any pressure on it. I think he either sprained or broke it. I'm going to take the dog to the vet and probably have to pay the bill. So what I would like to know is if there's any possibility that it could be hip dysplacia . Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Had Roscoe ever been diagnosed with hip dysplasia by his vet?
Can he touch the ground with his left foot at all (even for a moment)?
Has the lameness improved at all over the past 48 hours?
Are areas of soreness, swelling, bony crunching or instability?