Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Think my 1 year old english bulldog swallowed insulin needke

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him 4 slices of hamburger buns
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then a cup of dog food
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please reply to my first question

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This may not be such a bad situation. You see dogs are very prone to swallowing various objects but I can tell you that I have known sharp objects like glass or needles pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before this, however as you are aware there is some degree of danger. Here is some general advice based on my previous experience :

1. Do not try to make Jefe sick to recover the object as sharp objects like needles can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. Feeding him the hamburger buns was the right thing to do, these will hopefully form round the needle and cushion it to protect Jefe's intestinal tract as it passes the glass as it passes, this can be very effective. { This is the normal sort of advice I would give }

3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's faeces over the next few days to make sure the needle has passed.

4. However be aware that though that there is a potential for a problem to occur here due to damage to the intestinal tract. Monitor your dog for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay if any such occur. The danger of course is that the needle could penetrate the intestinal tract or damage his alimentary tract which would be a very serious situation.

On the bright side though I am always surprised how many dogs get away with this sort of thing ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never received a reply

Sorry my reply is above, I will post it again for you below ...

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your thorough response. Jefe is still behaving normal. I will examine his feces very carefully

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Jefe's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jefe. How is everything going?