Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My French bulldog got in the dog food. I do not know exactly

Customer Question

My French bulldog got in the dog food. I do not know exactly how much she ate because she ate it with my other dogs. She is very bloated. She threw some of it up but had not pooped. Her tummy is bloated and really hard. I cannot take her to a vet because we live in the country. I gave her a little water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not walking with her head down or vomiting foam..she barks out at the yard and seems alert. But seems uncomfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

In a situation like this, there can be a few serious concerns. "Food Bloat" occurs when there's so much dry food in the stomach that it draws fluid in from the bloodstream, leading to weakness, pale gums, collapse, and trouble breathing.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

If those signs are not present, then the overall level of risk is lower, and with adequate water provided, this situation may resolve on its own.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Inducing vomiting is controversial, in cases of extreme overeating, as the stomach may be so stretched that it is prone to tearing if vomiting occurs.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

In the veterinary clinic setting, typically we pass a stomach tube and flush out all the excess food that's been eaten.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much water do I give her and how many times. She does not have any of the symptoms you stated. She is very thirsty but I do not want to extend her tummy more.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest allowing her to take 2-3 ounces of water per 15 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bebe. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew