Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6 yr old,spayed lab, aussie female dog. She has a

Customer Question

I have a 6 yr old,spayed lab, aussie female dog. She has a consistently high urine pH, ( 7.5 + ), even with a urine acidifier for the past year. She has lost weight 11 # ***** 9 months, even while eating science diet cd. She weighs 65 #. She has been drinking larger quantites of water, almost emptying, her 36 oz. water dish. Her urine specific gravity is low. She recently had an xray for bladder stones, negative. Urine,was neg for rbc,wbc, visable bacteria. The urine culture is not back from the lab. She leaks urine when she is asleep. Running out of ideas. wondering if she is diabetic ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has she had any blood tests at this point? If so, what was checked?
How is her appetite? Is she eating well or being picky with the diet?
Would you say that she drinks 36 ounces in 24 hours? Or more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no bloodwork. She probably drinks 30+ oz of water a day... She has a good appetite, and plays and acts normally....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I would note that if she is drinking between 30-36 ounces per day, that translates to her having 29-35ml/kg per day. This is actually a bit below normal for a dog. So, this dose of water is not abnormal for a 65lb dog. That said, her low specific gravity and accidents are very abnormal and are the issue here. Especially as increased urinary dilution means large volumes of urine in the bladder at any one time; which often leads to dogs being caught out (since she won't be used to filling her bladder up that fast) and having accidents.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we see failure to concentrate urine in the dog for a range of reasons. To start, since she has dilute urine, we'd be less worried about stones, crystals, or urinary sphincter issues. As well, in regards ***** ***** question, the urine dipstick that her vet used to initially check her urine will test for glucose/ketones. So, if these weren't positive when the vet checked, it does rule out diabetes for your lass. Therefore, we'd be more wary of issues like kidney troubles, liver disease, or metabolic conditions like Cushing's disease or Addison's disease. As well, though less likely, we could also see this with diabetes insipidus (the non-insulin based diabetes), pyometra (if she has not been spayed), hypercalcemia, or even related to hormonal dysfunction within the kidney (though much more rare). So, these would be our major concerns at this stage.
With that in mind, if her vet has not already, it would be highly advisable to have them check a blood panel at this point. This can tell us whether her organs are struggling and can give us clues to whether those other issues are present here. And based on those results, we can start ruling out causes, pinpoint the one present, and getting her on appropriate treatment for it.
Overall, when a dog cannot concentrate her urine, we do need to be proactive and determine the cause. Therefore, at this point, a blood sample would be the best next step here to make determine if one of those organ or metabolic issues is to blame. Because once we know which is preventing her from concentrating her urine, we can address this for her, reduce its effects, and halt her accidents.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet