Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had stomach problems with vomiting 2 weeks ago. Got

Customer Question

My dog had stomach problems with vomiting 2 weeks ago. Got an X-ray, no abstraction. But then started having diarrhea a week later and was put on antibiotics and probiotics. He doesn't vomit or have diarrhea but bad gas at night and sometimes eating grass. This morning after eating grass he started coughing. Nothing comes up but white foamy saliva. It really only happens after he gets excited. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating normally, excited to eat, not lethargic and eats his treats. The coughing fits have occurred about 4x throughout today but nothing really comes up. Just the white foamy saliva.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Based on your history, I am concerned that Rocco's GI isn't quite back to 100%. The gas is likely due to imbalance in the GI microflora (good bacteria) population. Furthermore, this increased gas is likely stretching his gut which will cause nausea, in turn grass eating, and the mild retching and saliva type vomits we are seeing.
In this case, we'd want to make sure he is still on the probiotics to help soothe that natural bacterial load in his gut. Otherwise, to combat the gas, I would note that you can treat him with activated charcoal. This will bind that gas and reduce his general gut discomfort. This can be purchased OTC as powders to mix into food (ie BCK granules), as gas relieving capsules (which you can find for treating gas in people), and there are even palatable charcoal based biscuits (often available at pet stores or sites like Amazon). And while using these to reduce gas, you can still use the Pepcid at bedtime to offset his morning nausea.
Overall, it sounds like Rocco's GI has been through quite a bit as of late. He does sound to be on the mend but we'd want to use the above to just get that microflora back to its proper population to reduce the gas and its side effects. Otherwise, we can use activated charcoal to bind what is being produced and settle these signs for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )