Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Boston terrier with dry scaly ears and skin that peels off.

Customer Question

boston terrier with dry scaly ears and skin that peels off. hair is off as well.
in recent months had allergy testing done and she is now taking allergy shots and we are weaning her from her temaril P oral meds. Used to be 1 whole pill twice and day and now down to 1/2 pill twice a day. She also has thinning and hair loss on her head, neck and both sides of her body. The hair thinning on the sides of her body seems better, but not on the head and neck yet. But the skin in the thinning areas is completely different from her ears, so I feel her ears are a different problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm concerned that Cookie's bilateral pinnal (ear flap) changes represent autoimmune skin disease such as the pemphigus complex which is often evidenced by peeling skin where blistering first appeared. The changes at her ear edges are worrisome for vasculitis - another immune-mediated skin disorder. Has biopsy of the skin been mentioned to you? That's how we clarify what's going on in unusual skin disorders and is necessary for confirmation of immune-mediated skin disorders.
Can you upload a photo of Cookie's ear(s) to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie. How is everything going?