Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our pet dog (mixed breed) Basenji/chihuahua has the

Customer Question

Our pet dog (mixed breed) Basenji/chihuahua has the following symptoms :
1.shaking like shes cold
2. loss of weight
3. will eat, but then throws up.
4. She will be up and active at one time, then she sleeps and seems listless.
Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara, and I apologize for the delay in our response!

The symptoms that you've described Ginger having are very vague, especially for an older pet.

Shaking or shivering can indicate being cold, as you suggested, but it can also indicate pain, discomfort or anxiety (in her case it could be nausea since you're seeing vomiting). Weight loss is also a very vague sign and it can be attributed to a very wide range of diseases from simple easily treatable things like intestinal parasitism (worms) all the way up to terminal cancers. The vomiting you're describing also is concerning but not specific for any one disease. Dogs can also seem very listless when they are not feeling well but there are so many diseases that can do this that I don't think we will be able to get a good handle on the situation over the internet.

At Ginger's age, the signs you're describing could very well indicate serious disease, so I would suggest that you call her vet as soon as you can to have them do an in-person physical exam. I'm sorry, I wish I could help more but without being able to see her, I just can't correctly say what might be happening.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions I can answer.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Doc Sara