Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8-year old westie is having a problem with her tummy

Customer Question

My 8-year old westie is having a problem with her tummy today, It just keeps growling really loud. She is not eating
although I did serve her rice and hamburg. Is there something I should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Did she eat the rice and hamburger?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
1. No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing.
2. As far as I know, she hasn't had any food out of the ordinary.
3. No pre-existing medical conditions.
4. Heidi weighs 22 lbs.
5. She did not eat the rice & hamburger, nor did she eat anything at all today.
6. No other symptoms other than the growling tummy.
It is now 5:45 pm and I haven't heard her stomach growl for almost 1-1/2 hrs. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, her stomach is growling because she is not eating. This sound is created by gas and the smooth muscle contraction in the intestinal tract. The big question is: Why isn't she eating? Anorexia can be caused by many different medical conditions: Anything from a simple upset stomach to a systemic disease; many possibilities. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause on history alone without a physical exam as she is not showing any other symptoms. For this reason I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime you can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to settle her stomach. In addition, blend the rice with hamburger meat and force feed her small amounts 4-6 times a day with a turkey baster or dropper. Once she eats the growling sounds should go away.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter