How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 24404
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 14 yr. old terrier,weighing about 20 lbs., just ingested

Customer Question

Our 14 yr. old terrier,weighing about 20 lbs., just ingested some fire ant granules with active ingredient of bifenthrin.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you clarify what "some" implies, please? Bifenthrin is considered moderately toxic to dogs but the concentration of that pyrethroid in fire ant granules is very small (0.2%/2 mg/g of granule) and not likely to cause anything more than gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting such an unusual "food". The NOEL - the no observed effect level - of this chemical is 1.5 mg/kg or approximately 15 mg for Lady.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin