Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog who is a 12 year old german shepard mix has developed

Customer Question

My dog who is a 12 year old german shepard mix has developed a huge knot on her leg (where the joints meet for leg and foot). It is squishy feeling like a cyst is causing discomfort when she walks. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
There could be many causes for this mass. Considering your gal's age, it is very important that you have your vet examine this area. This could be a benign lesion or scar tissue from trauma or it could be something more serious.
For now, apply cold compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs and also give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If this is only from trauma, this will resolve this within a few days. If it does not respond, have your vet examine this to be sure it is not something more serious.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does, Thanks so much
You are very welcome...I hope this is something benign and harmless for your sweet gal...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do as well, she is our child, never has been just a dog. I don't want her to suffer in anyway
I know how you feel...we love them so much that it is always scary when they have problems...they are our fur babies :-))
Hi Terry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took her to the vet and it is a tumor. She is scheduled for surgery this Friday. Vet is not concerned about removal but more concerned about healing since it is on her leg and not a lot of skin to close it. Hoping all goes well
Good for you...I am so happy that this will be removed, Terry....
Sending your sweet gal a hug!!!