Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

This may be a silly question, but is 5-6 too old to neuter?

Customer Question

This may be a silly question, but is 5-6 too old to neuter? This is the silly part: I'm worried about the excess skin that will be left (too loose, too much?). Intact, his scrotum is already low: about 4 inches. For him that's already halfway to the floor. I'm worried about him, or me, accidentally stepping on what's left after surgery...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

In response to your question he is not to old to be neutered, we often neuter even older dogs. As far as the scrotum, you are right in older dogs especially dogs with large testicles or testicular tumors the scrotum may remain hanging when we remove the testicles. To avoid this what you can do is discuss with your vet about doing a scrotum ablation (removal of the scrotum) and neutering at the same time. So, rather than removing the testis through a prescrotal incision as we normally do the testis will be removed through the scrotum. And, removal of the scrotum as well.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!