Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog threw up a couple times a few days ago we took her to

Customer Question

My dog threw up a couple times a few days ago we took her to the vet an they did blood work which looked good sent us home with antibotic and stuff to coat stomach but she is still not acting herself and not eating much after 2 1/2 days on the medicine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What medication was sent home to coat her stomach (ie Sucralfate/Carafate)?
Has she had any more vomiting? What had she been bringing up?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Has she had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was cararate...she threw up 3 times 2x food 3x like pink flam like it was bloody..no diarrhea and does not seem to be in any pain at all just no energy or appitiate..her gums look normal she is drinking water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to see that she is drinking water and hasn't any of those more worrisome signs I asked about Now with those aside, we do have to appreciate that her lack of appetite despite reduction in vomiting is likely related to residual nausea that the Carafate just isn't completely addressing (though it is a good treatment for her since the pink you saw was likely a bit of blood from a throat erosion due to her vomiting...and the Carafate will coat that to help it heal as well as coar the stomach). And that lack of food intake is going to translate to the lack of energy she has.
Therefore, while we do want to give the antibiotics a chance to overcome any infection lurking, we need to be thinking about how we can better address the nausea for her. In this case, since she is already on the Carafate, it'd be ideal to ring her vet, update them on her continue poor appetite, and request they dispense an actual anti-nausea/vomiting treatment (ie Metoclopramide, Cerenia, Zofran, etc). These can be used with the Carafate and just can tackle that lingering nausea that is putting her off her food.
Overall, it sounds like you are on the right track with helping Ruby. Still if she is still not eating properly and lethargic, we'd want to consider speaking to her vet about adding in one of the above treatments. Otherwise, if this did linger despite a stronger anti-nausea medication, then we'd need to think about possible ultrasound or xray to make sure there is nothing more afoot (ie enlarged organs or growths compressing the stomach or inflammation/growths within the GI) causing these signs for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?
nekovet