Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am trying to figure out what killed my dog because I am

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out what killed my dog because I am suffering from his loss. I brought him to the vet 6 months ago for a dental( had bad teeth, and a missing canine which left a huge hole from gum to nose) and he was diagnosed with earlu stage liver disease but was on treatment. His heart and everything else was fine. He had an ekg and everything. My bf was stressing out the dog his last 5 montha of life and wonder if that was also something that may have caused it. I came home july 25.to find him laying in his bed still warm with hia eyes opened. He was perfect that day. Ate. Hyper. Then dead. Please help me. Im devastated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It's hard to know what happened without a necropsy (autopsy) of the body. With no other signs- ie no vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding- then it would more likely be due to some type of heart disease. This could be a clot (stroke) to the brain, lungs or heart vessels. It could also be a ruptured chordae tendinae (tendon to heart valve) in the heart. Those would be the two most likely causes. There are typically no warning signs, but these dogs can die suddenly. There was nothing you could do to foresee or prevent this from happening.

I'm sorry again for your loss. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He haf an ekg done, and his heart was fine. Is it still possible to die from heart problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had*
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Even with a normal EKG, they can still have heart disease present and end up with a ruptured chordae or stroke.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok last question. So stress could not have caused it? He was very scared of my bf all the time so was just wondering. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Stress can increase the heart rate, but it won't cause a stroke or a ruptured chordae.