Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 10 lb dachshound mix. has autoimmune disease. on

Customer Question

I have a 10 lb dachshound mix. has autoimmune disease. on predisone,azathioprine and cyclosporine. has been falling over when trying to walk. has had a katscan, xrays and ekg. all normal. blood work normal. eating well and doesn't seem to be in pain. can't seem to get a diagnosis.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can u tell me how long before I get an answer
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question but it is not easy to determine why your gal is having coordination difficulties with this diagnosis. It may be the medication is interfering with the blood supply giving oxygon to the nerve supply to brain function causing this. If this is an autoimmune Hemolytic anemia, I will usually give prednisone and Cyclosporine and the Azothioprine may be over kill. These are all immunosuppressive agents to stop your gals body from destroying her own cells but the side effect of this is that she has no defenses against infections. It appears, that, if the lab work is normal and she is not anemic and platelets are normal, that it is time to reevealuate the medications that your gal is on....
ask your vet.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****