Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 yr old boston terrier stiffens up and yelps when touch.

Customer Question

my 4 yr old boston terrier stiffens up and yelps when touch. I belive fromsomething wrong with neck.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Neck pain or upper back pain is not uncommon in dogs, usually it is not so serious, a bit like back pain in people and will often resolve with a little rest and some anti inflammatory drugs. However now and again it can be more serious when it is caused by a slipped disk type injury, as this then can pressure the spinal cord.

2. What to do about it? : Well if the symptoms continue then you should have Pepper checked over by your vet as prescription anti-inflammatory drugs plus rest are your best way forward. And a minority of dogs will need further diagnostics such as X-ray.

3. However I am aware that some owners successfully resolve this condition by the use of strict rest for a week or so and then a gradual return to exercise combined with aspirin as the anti-inflammatory drug. It is also good to use a chest harness and lead rather than a collar and lead to reduce trauma to the neck.

4. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

{ The vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog related to these drugs } .

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.