Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 year old dog is leaking urine and yesterday was

Customer Question

My 7 year old dog is leaking urine and yesterday was vomiting...my husband things he got into the garbage that had dog poop in it...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasnt vomited today but has very bad farts...smell like sulpher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is leaking urine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Did the urine leaking just start in the past 2 days as well?
Is he passing normal streams of urine at any time or just dribbling?
Does he dribble all the time? Or mostly when sleeping?
Does the urine look darker, have more odor then usual, or any blood?
Is Dexter drinking more?
Any diarrhea?
Any known health issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leaking just started yesterday but the day before he was vomiting yellow fluidA little diarrhea but not badIs acting normal but leaking all the timeStill peeing normal outsideSeems to be drinking more too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has been healthy up to 2 days ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant see any blood in urine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Just one more question, could there have been anything else in the trash (ie raisins, grapes, human pain relief medications, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just grass and poop
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if he only had access to trash with feces and grass, then we’d not expect this to have triggered his increased thirst and urinary leakage. That said, it is very likely the culprit for his vomiting and mild diarrhea. So, with these two groups of signs, this means we have to think about 2 issues present to consider and address.
Now in regards ***** ***** GI signs, since his vomiting has settled and the diarrhea mild, we’d just want to consider a light/easily digestible diet at this stage. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese . There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated, reduce nausea, and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients into him resulting in less diarrhea.
Otherwise, we have to consider these other signs. At his age, we can see both for a range of reasons. And I would note that the primary issue here will be his increased thirst, as it will lead to increase urine output which often catches them out leading to leaks and urinary accidents. In regards ***** ***** urinary tract infection is less likely if he is still passing normal steams. Instead, we'd have to be wary of diabetes, Cushing's or Addison's disease (both hormonal diseases that affect the body's production of natural steroids), an inflammatory process (stimulating increased water intake), and organ issues (ie liver, kidney, or heart). As well, we also have to be concerned about possible urinary crystal issues, bladder stones, or even growths within the bladder.
With all this in mind, I would advise that is prudent for him to see his vet since we do have some serious issues to consider. Of course, if you want to take things slower, you could try and collect a urine sample. This can be submitted even before having him in. And his vet will be able to analyse the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals, glucose (a marker of diabetes), overly dilute urine (which would be a hint of kidney or hormonal issues) or other abnormalities (ie tumor cells). Depending on their findings from this, you may then want a check +/- bloods to rule out the rest.
Overall, the trash is unlikely to have caused this urinary issue but is likely what has caused the GI signs. So, we want to use a light diet for those mild GI upset signs but need to consider having a urine sample tested +/- a check up to determine which of the above is causing him to drink more and thus have too much urine in his bladder at one time to manage and hold.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now he is playing with his brother and acting like nothing is wrong but we still see a few drips...could it be not that bad since he acts normal today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Potentially, but we do always have to be careful with them since dogs often will live in the moment and not show signs of an issue until it is very advanced. So, at the very least, do have a urine sample tested to make sure there is no issue that Dexter is trying to hide from us.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for Dexter,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)