Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Labrador retriever was picked up today from a kennel we

Customer Question

Hi my Labrador retriever was picked up today from a kennel we had him boarded at. He's very lethargic and we're concerned he may have canine flu...runny eyes etc even his paws feel warm. He also seems to be developing a red rash with little bumps in his groin area. Not sure they're related but we live in the Chicago area and heard recent reports of canine flu in our area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Labrador. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he coughing? There has been an outbreak of canine flu in your area, but dogs with canine flu are coughing a lot.

The rash is not typical of cainine flu, but can be a skin infection, allergic reaction to something in the kennel (bedding, food, etc.).

is he eating, and drinking? Can you take his temperature at home? Normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102; dogs with canine flu usually are having fevers over 103.

Are his gums a normal pink color?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hope you can see what I am writing! Let me know if his gums look pink ( if he is a black Lab, they may be darkly pigmented and hard to assess), if he is eating and drinking, and if you can take his temp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isn't coughing a ton. He did eat and he did drink, not as much as he normally drinks though. I don't have a thermometer but his paws are super hot and he's really lethargic. His gums look normal. Maybe a lite less pink, hard to tell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's actually not coughing at all.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he is not coughing, this is probably not canine flu. He could have an allergic reaction, or an infection. It is a good sign he is eating and drinking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll get him in the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing serious. :-)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I think that is best. Let me know what you find out and how he is doing.