Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a granddog that I take care of daily. He has had an

Customer Question

I have a granddog that I take care of daily. He has had an allergy test and it finds that he is allergic to three kinds of grass and dust mites. He has been on a severe "duck" diet for many months. He has big sores all over his body even though he takes predisone (sp) and two drops a day for an allergy drug, He used to have a lot of chicken but we were told that one of the worse things he could eat as many dogs are allergy to that.
Scruffy is a 14 year old ***** *****/Westie mix. My daughter-in-law and I love him dearly but my son and grandson want him put down.
What should we do? Pat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload photos of these sores to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. If he continues to have such severe skin changes in spite of your good care for both atopy - allergies to pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc - and food intolerance, those sores might represent a different disease process - secondary bacterial or yeast infection as well as autoimmune diseases such as the pemphigus complex. The autoimmune skin diseases are diagnosed by skin biopsy.

I understand your family disagreement on how to proceed, however. Please speak to your dog's vet about the use of the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib which might do wonders for your granddog. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.