Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old shepard has lost of back legs sometimes, can

Customer Question

my 10 year old shepard has lost of back legs sometimes, can stand and walk when helped , balance is off wobbles and falls to side, when shen ries to get up her front paws lock under and stiffen I have to straighten them for her to get up have vet come n out on Thursday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I may need to ask you a few questions to better assess your situation.
How long has this been going on for?
Does she seem painful, especially when you applied pressure up and down her spine while supporting her abdomen with the other hand? Pain when you lift up her tail as much as it will go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just started Saturday doesn't seem to be in pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did fall in the bathroom late last night and woke me up whining I had to go help her up
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. There are a few disease processes to be concerned with. First and foremost, GSDs are prone to a condition called degenerative myelopathy (DM). It is an issue in the spinal cord. It is not painful, but the nervous system stops working very well in the rear limbs. It tends to be a progressive and not acute disease, but in some cases it can seem acute just because owners may not notice the initial signs or just attribute it to arthritis or age. GSDs are very over-presented as a breed for this disease. A herniated disk is possible, although that tends to elicit more of a pain response, but I have had some that I couldn't get a good pain response. Same goes for an inflammatory/infectious condition called diskospondylosis. A spinal tumor is very possible with his age as well, and it would not elicit a pain response. The problem is diagnosing based on exam alone. Your vet can probably get a good idea what may be going on based on exam, but in the end, an MRI or CT scan is necessary to get a definitive diagnosis. Unfortunately, DM is not a treatable condition and can progress rapidly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Soophie. How is everything going?
Dr. John