Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a three mth old baby raccoon who had a bad fight with

Customer Question

i have a three mth old baby raccoon who had a bad fight with her sibling - sibling died. she has wound on her front foot that is infected. can I give injection of penicillin or could I put the penicillin in her bottle with the puppy formula
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Can you tell me if you have an injectable preparation/bottle of Penicillin?
What is the IU per milliliter you have?
How much does this wee one weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two pounds and it is injectable penicillun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
300,000 units per ml
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If it is an injectable product, then we'd not be able to give it orally or in milk. Instead, it would need to be given via injection under the skin (subcutaneously) once daily until the infection has been settled for 1-2 days. And if you have that strong a preparation on hand, then the dose for his size would only be 0.02ml. Finally, as it is so small a dose, you may need to dilute it with sterile water to make it an easier volume to administer.
All the best for your lad,
Dr. B.