Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 14 year old husky has a liver problem. she is taking

Customer Question

my 14 year old husky has a liver problem. she is taking enrofloxacine, marin and ursodiol. could any of these drugs be responsible for her sudden excessive involuntary urination? please advice...samantha
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Such urination is not a known adverse effect of any of those drugs but hepatopathies (liver disorders) can cause polydipsia (increased thirst) and subsequent polyuria (increased volume of urine). If profound, the amount of urine formed can exceed the capacity of the urinary bladder resulting in urinary incontinence. Concurrent disorders with her hepatopathy such as renal insufficiency, urinary tract infection involving her kidneys, diabetes mellitus and insipidus, Cushing's disease, and electrolyte (calcium, sodium, potassium) imbalances can also cause such polydipsia/polyuria.

Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.