Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog seems to have a red blister on s actual eyeball.

Customer Question

My dog seems to have a red blister on his actual eyeball. Outer bottom side
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. How long has this "blister" been there? Is he holding the eye shut / acting like it is painful? Can you take a picture and post it for me to view it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today is the fist time I noticed it. He is squinting, and resisted having me look at it. I can't get a picture at this time because I'm not at home with him right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is small, approx the size of a kernel of corn, cloudy and red (assumed the red was blood) on the outer bottom edge of his iris
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to be very honest here and say that this situation has me very concerned. If there is something on the actual eye (the clear part) that is looking like a blister that is painful (holding the eye shut), then there is a large concern for an ulcer there. Anytime I have an eye situation where the pet is holding the eye shut / squinting, that shows it is uncomfortable / painful. I don't take eye situations lightly as they can in some situations progress to visually threatening situations. IF this is an ulcer, it could progress to a deeper one that eventually could rupture and possibly compromise the eye. I would strongly recommend getting to a vet's office as soon as possible for them to first hand evaluate what is going on and then start up therapy for it. I'm hopping for the best.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this an after hours emergency care situation? Because I wouldn't be able to get him to his regular vet until first thing in the morning
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

If it is an actual ulcer on the corneal (a corneal ulcer), then it would absolutely be an after hours emergency situation. I again just don't like to take eye situations for granted that they aren't emergencies as at my ER, I've seen numerous very critical eye situations that weren't dealt with soon enough by owners and they got a lot more progressed.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.