Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I am trying to find the best dog breed mom. She is elderly

Customer Question

Hi. I am trying to find the best dog breed for my mom. She is elderly and lives in a townhouse with a small garden. She is at home 24/7 and we are looking for a good small dog companion for her.She also looks after my 2 year old nephew during the week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
There are a number of small dogs who would be a great companion for your mom who generally also get along well with small children. Much might depend on what sort of "look" your mom prefers but, regardless, whatever breed you decide to get for her, I'd definitely do my research. Finding a reputable breeder who selects for temperament will be a really important criteria when it comes to being around small children...but I suspect this is something that you already know.
When asked this question by clients, the following list is what I suggest. In no particular order:
Boston terriers
Pug
French Bulldog
Maltese
Bichon Frise
Yorkies
Beagle
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Chihuahua
I hope this helps but, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb