Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old rescue dog, maybe a schipperkey mixed breed,

Customer Question

my 8 year old rescue dog, maybe a schipperkey mixed breed, he was rescued from taiwan. He had a rabies vaccine yesterday and is still crying loudly if you touch his stomach, not his side where the injection was. Should I be worried. He has pos bowel signs, his mucosa is pink and he ate and is well hydrated. but screams if I touch his lower abd on the inside of his stomach!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. It's important to note that delayed hypersensitivity reactions to vaccines can cause systemic signs and not just local inflammation and pain at the injection site. Odie may be febrile and painful "all over". It's not clear to me what his "lower abdomen on the inside of his stomach" implies but if he has eaten and is otherwise well, "watchful waiting" is appropriate and aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food and repeated in 12 hours along with the tincture of time should suffice to normalize him. Most of these dogs will remiss within 36 hours. If Odie remained painful longer than that, his vet can administer a corticosteroid such as prednisone which should counteract his vaccine reaction.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.