Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 11 year old yorki bichon is lethargic and yelps when I

Customer Question

My 11 year old yorki bichon is lethargic and yelps when I touch his stomach. He has been throwing up a little bit the last 2-3 days, but I thought it was because I had switched his food (newer version of same kind he has been eating.) He was fine yesterday, running around like a puppy. There is nothing he could have gotten into food wise. Could it be peritonitis?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. It would be hard to imagine a dog "running around like a puppy" the day before now suffering from peritonitis which will cause a profoundly ill dog. Peritonitis usually arises after the gastrointestinal tract has been perforated by a sharp foreign body, devitalized gut has ruptured, or infection or malignancy is causing significant inflammation in the abdomen. Vocalizing when touched is worrisome and indicates the type of pain requiring the attention of his vet. It's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder, however. His vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays or ultrasound of his abdomen. Spinal pain needs to be considered as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.