Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just picked up a 5 year old pekingese from the pound and

Customer Question

I just picked up a 5 year old pekingese from the pound and she has blood in her urine any home remedies
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you that blood in the urine of a female dog would usually mean that what you are dealing with is possibly a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis.

2. If this is the case then this disease is best treated with antibiotics but I can tell you that I am aware that lots of owners use cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in pet stores which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to.

It would also be good to encourage your dog to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

3. Be aware though that UTIs are common in the female dog and they usually quite a minor condition, but there would be other possible diagnosis where a dog has blood in her urine such as being in season, or stones in the bladder, or even cancer of the bladder { Happily this is rare }.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lotus is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect UTI.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.